You can find this delicious recipe for cornbread by Shirma Rouse in her first book Shirma’s Soul Kitchen. The difference is that this time Shirma baked the cornbread in the Big Green Egg instead of in the oven. The singer is not only a queen of soul, but also a queen of soul food. She gave this traditional bread a delicious twist by adding jalapeño pepper and mozzarella to the batter. A quick, easy and oh-so-delicious recipe to bake in your kamado!
- ½ green jalapeño pepper
- 120 g margarine
- 240 g cornmeal
- 65 g wheat flour
- 3½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 100 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 240 ml buttermilk
- 100 g grated mozzarella
- Add the margarine to the Cast Iron Sauce Pot and place it on the grill. Place the lid of the round Green Dutch Oven next to it so it can warm up in advance. Close the lid of the EGG and wait for the margarine to melt.
- Add the cornmeal, wheat flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, sugar, eggs and buttermilk to a mixing bowl and mix well with a whisk. Add the jalapeño pepper to the melted butter and mix this and the mozzarella into the batter with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the lid of the Green Dutch Oven and, if necessary, smooth the top with a spatula. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the cornbread for 22 to 25 minutes until golden brown and done. You can check whether the cornbread is cooked by poking a skewer into the middle. If it comes out dry and clean, your bread is ready.
- Remove the lid with the cornbread from the EGG. Let it cool slightly before you remove it from the lid and cut into slices to serve. Serve with jerk chicken, if you like.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?