Yakitori with teriyaki sauce
Yakitori is simply skewered chicken grilled over charcoal – the literal meaning of this Japanese word is grilled bird. There’s no need to marinate the chicken. Just brush the skewers with a homemade teriyaki sauce as they cook on your Big Green Egg. Easy and delicious!
- 400 g chicken thigh fillet
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ red chilli pepper
- 200 ml mirin
- 100 ml sake
- 200 ml salty soy sauce
- 50 ml ginger syrup
- 50 g black bean pepper sauce
- 50 g dark brown caster sugar
- ½ red chilli pepper
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tbsp furikake seasoning or sesame seeds
- 10 g bean sprouts
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the grid, to 160°C. While the temperature of the EGG is rising, place the Cast Iron Sauce Pot on the grid to heat it up.
- To prepare the yakitori, cut the chicken thigh fillets into cubes of approx. 1.5 cm. Thread the chicken cubes onto 8 skewers and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- To prepare the teriyaki sauce, remove the stem of the chilli pepper, halve it and remove the seeds. Chop the flesh finely.
- Mix all ingredients for the Teriyaki sauce in the Cast Iron Sauce Pot and close the lid of the EGG. Leave the sauce to cook for about 20 minutes until it is nice and thick. Stir every now and then, closing the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the sauce from the EGG. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor, place the Cast Iron Satay Grill in the EGG and heat the EGG to 180-200°C. Pre-heat the Cast Iron Satay Grill for 15 minutes. To prepare the garnish, slice the chilli pepper and spring onion into thin rings and set to one side.
- Sprinkle the chicken skewers with salt and brush the Cast Iron Satay Grill with olive oil. Place the chicken skewers on the grill and baste with the teriyaki sauce. Close the lid of the EGG and grill the skewers for approximately 5 minutes. Turn them over every minute or so and baste with the sauce. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the yakitori from the EGG and divide the skewers over the plates. Sprinkle with the furikake seasoning or sesame seeds and garnish with the chilli pepper, spring onion and bean sprouts.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!