This video shows you how to make your own smoked Vitello Tonnato, which is an Italian dish that consists of cold veal with tuna sauce. This easy Vitello Tonnato recipe will make for a great starter dish. You can also make a tasty sandwich with it and have it for lunch!
For the vitello tonnato
- 800 g to 1.2 kg of veal
For the rub
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder (pimentón)
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
For the sauce
- 1 tin of tuna in water (160 g)
- 1 tbsp capers
- 3-4 tbsp mayonnaise
- juice of ½ lemon
For the garnish
- 8 small caper fruits
- 1 tbsp capers
- 100 g mixed lettuce
- 1 unsprayed lemon
- Soak a generous handful of Hickory Wood Chips in water. Mix a few handfuls of Hickory Wood Chips (unsoaked) in the charcoal. Fully open the draft door on the ceramic base of the Big Green Egg, distribute three fire starters over the charcoal and light them. Leave the lid of the EGG open for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, remove the veal from the refrigerator. Mix together all of the ingredients for the rub and generously rub the mixture on all sides of the meat.
- Sprinkle the soaked Wood Chips over the glowing charcoal. Set up the convEGGtor and place the grid inside the EGG. Place the veal on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and heat to a temperature of approx. 100°C. Leave the veal to cook for about 50 minutes until the meat has reached a core temperature of 52°C. You can measure the temperature with the Instant Read Thermometer or Dual Probe Remote Thermometer.
- In the meantime, make the tuna sauce. Drain the tuna and the capers and in the blender, mix with the other ingredients for the sauce. The structure of this sauce can be slightly coarse. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste and cover to store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Remove the veal from the EGG and allow to cool. Wrap in plastic and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Cut the veal into nice thin slices before serving the vitello tonnato. Drain the caper fruits and capers and cut the caper fruits in half lengthwise. Distribute the mixed lettuce over the plates and place the sliced veal on top. Garnish with the tuna sauce, the whole and halved caper fruits and the capers, and then grate the zest from one half lemon on top.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!