Vitello tonnato is an Italian appetizer that you can make entirely in advance. We recommend using sliced veal for the vitello. Sliced veal is a part of the silverside of the calf which is also used to make schnitzels. Schnitzels are cooked briefly and at high temperature, but vitello tonnato is best cooked slowly on the Big Green Egg. This keeps the meat wonderfully succulent.
For the veal
- 1 piece of sliced veal 800 g to 1.2 kg
for the rub
- 2 tbsp pimentón dulce
- 2 tbsp edelsüß paprika powder
- ½ tbsp nanami togarashi (also known as shichimi togarashi)
For the sauce
- 1 160 g can of tuna in water
- 1 tbsp capers
- 3-4 tbsp mayonnaise
- juice of ½ lemon
For the garnish
- 8 caper berries
- 1 tbsp capers
- 100 g mixed salad
- finely grated zest of ½ lemon
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Remove the sliced veal from the refrigerator and sprinkle it with the ingredients for the rub. Rub this into the meat.
- Soak a handful of Hickory Wood Chips in water. Slide the air regulator underneath the ceramic base fully open, distribute three fire starters over the charcoal and light them. Leave the lid of the EGG open for 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the soaked Wood Chips onto the hot charcoal. Position the convEGGtor and lay the standard grid in the EGG. Place the veal on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and bring it to a temperature of 100 ° C. Leave the sliced veal to cook for about 50 minutes until the meat reaches an internal temperature of at least 52 ° C. This can be measured with the Instant Read Thermometer or the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer.
- Meanwhile, make the tuna sauce. Drain the tuna and the capers and mix with the remaining ingredients in a blender to make the sauce. This may still be a bit coarse in texture. Season with salt and pepper and store covered in the refrigerator until serving.
- Remove the sliced veal from the Big Green Egg once the desired core temperature has been reached and leave to cool. Wrap in foil and store in the refrigerator until serving.
- Prior to serving the vitello tonnato, cut the sliced veal into nice thin slices. Let the caper berries and capers drain and halve half of the caper berries in length. Divide the lettuce leaves and slices of veal over the plates. Garnish with the tuna sauce, whole and halved caper berries and capers and grate the lemon zest on top.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!