Vietnamese spring rolls with dip
The original Vietnamese spring roll is a delicious appetizer, as well as a tasty, healthy Asian snack. This is a cold spring roll, so if you want, you could grill the king prawns and cucumber strips in advance. However, you should not fill the rice sheets until shortly before serving, otherwise you risk them sticking to each other.
For the spring rolls
- 50 g rice noodles
- 1 cucumber
- ½ carrot
- 6 spring onions
- 2 heads of little gem lettuce
- ½ bunch of mint
- ½ bunch of coriander
- 2 tbsp unsalted peanuts (shelled)
- 24 peeled king prawns
- 8 rice sheets (Ø 22 cm)
For the dip
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 bird’s eye chili pepper
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 230°C. In the meantime, cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packaging. Drain them, rinse them with cold water and allow them to thoroughly drain further.
- Slice the cucumber into quarters lengthwise. Remove the seeds and again cut the sections of cucumber lengthwise. Then halve them crosswise. Peel the carrot and cut it into thin slices lengthwise. Cut these slices into thin strips. Clean the spring onions and the heads of little gem lettuce, and cut them into thin strips. Pluck the leaves from the mint and coriander and chop finely. Coarsely chop the peanuts.
- Distribute the king prawns and cucumber strips over the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Grill for approx. 5 minutes and flip them halfway through the cooking time.
- In the meantime, for the dip, peel the garlic and chop it fine. Remove the stalk and seeds from the bird’s eye chili pepper and finely chop the flesh. Mix the ingredients for the dip with 150 ml water and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the king prawns and the cucumber strips from the EGG. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and allow to cool.
- Prepare a dish with cold water into which the rice sheets will fit, and place a wet tea-towel on your worktop. Soak a rice sheet in the water for approx. 20 sec.
- Place the rice sheet on the tea-towel, top it with 1/8 of the sliced, grilled and chopped ingredients just below its centre line, and place the king prawns on top. Dip your fingers in the water and fold the bottom of the rice sheet over the ingredients. Fold the sides of the rice sheet inwards and roll the rice sheet up tightly. Repeat with the remaining rice sheets and ingredients.
- Divide the spring rolls over the plates and serve together with the dip.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!