If you’re looking for an original hamburger recipe, you’ve found it. The mango filling makes this hamburger especially surprising. If you want to make these even easier to prepare, you can of course also just scoop a spoonful of the filling onto the hamburger when topping the burger.
For the hamburgers
- 600 g ground beef
- 1 egg
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- olive oil
- 1 tomato
- 2 gherkins
- ½ red onion
- 4 hamburger buns
- mixed lettuce
- 4 slices of cheddar
- ketchup or barbecue sauce
For the stuffing
- 1 ripe mango
- ½ red pepper
- 2 tbsp light caster sugar
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- For the filling, peel the mango and cut the pulp from pit. Cut the mango into small cubes and cut the red pepper into thin rings. Heat them up, along with the caster sugar and a dash of water, in a pan on the stove. Let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the filling to cool.
- Knead the ground beef together with the egg, the black pepper and the sea salt. Divide the ground beef mixture into four equal portions. Grease the Stuff-A-Burger Press in with a bit of olive oil. Cover the bottom and the sides of the burger press with about two-thirds of a portion of ground beef. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the filling into the ground beef. Make a patty of the rest of the ground beef that fits into the press. Cover the filling with it and press everything together with the lid of the burger press. Make three more burgers in the same way, then cover and store in the refrigerator.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 220°C. In the meantime, cut the tomato and the gherkins into thin slices. Peel the onion and cut into thin rings.
- Brush the hamburgers with olive oil. Place them on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and grill them for about 3-4 minutes per side. Meanwhile, cut the hamburger buns in half.
- Place the halved buns on the cut side next to the burgers and grill for about 30 seconds. Remove the burgers and the buns from the EGG.
- Top the bottom halves of the buns with some mixed lettuce, the tomato slices, gherkins and onion rings. Add some mayonnaise to taste. Top with a burger and a slice of cheddar, and add ketchup or your favourite barbecue sauce. Then cover with the top half of the bun.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!