Vegetable curry with stuffed peppers
Curry is delightful to prepare in your Big Green Egg and has countless variations. In this recipe for a vegetarian curry, we explain how to make this dish in your kamado. The peppers are stuffed with rice, giving the dish a surprising presentation.
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 courgette
- 1 leek
- 200 g bimi
- 1 organic lime
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 sprig of coriander
- 20 g butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 100 g bean sprouts
- 300 g basmati rice
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 6 small, red peppers
- 12 balls of stem ginger
- 60 g butter
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg, and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 220°C.
- In the meantime, peel and slice the onion. Peel and finely chop the cloves of garlic. Cut the yellow pepper in half, remove the stem and seeds, and cut the flesh into chunks. Cut the courgette into chunks. Cut the leeks into wide rings. Cut off any dried-out undersides of the bimi. Cut the lime into wedges. Crush the lemongrass and tie a knot in the stem. Pick the leaves from the sprigs of parsley and coriander and coarsely chop them.
- Place the Green Dutch Oven on the grid. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Add the onion, garlic, pepper and courgette and fry the vegetables for 5-6 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each operation. In the meantime, for the stuffed peppers, cook the basmati rice according to the instructions on the packet, and add the turmeric. Cut the tops of the peppers and remove the seeds.
- Mix the leeks, bimi, lime and flour into the vegetable mixture and cook for 4-5 minutes. Next, pour the coconut milk into the pan, mix in the curry paste and add the lemongrass. Close the lid of the EGG and let the curry simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the EGG and add salt and pepper to the curry to taste. Put the lid on the pan and set aside. Remove the grid and place the convEGGtor in the EGG. Put the grid back and close the lid of the EGG. Bring the temperature back up to 220 °C.
- Stuff the peppers with the cooked rice and place two balls of stem ginger on top of the rice in each pepper. Cut the butter into six equal pieces and top with the ginger. Cover the rice with the caps and place the stuffed peppers in the Cast Iron Skillet Small. Place the skillet on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and cook the peppers for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the skillet with the peppers from the EGG and set aside. Place the Dutch oven with the curry (without the lid) on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and heat the curry for another 5 minutes or so.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the EGG and add the bean sprouts, parsley and coriander to the curry. Spoon the curry into a large bowl and place the stuffed peppers in it or divide the curry among six plates and place a stuffed pepper on each plate.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?