Slow-cooked pork belly
Slow-cooked pork belly is one of those classic dishes that you will undoubtedly make soon after purchasing your Big Green Egg. Especially if you have ever tasted this delicious meat before – perhaps with friends or family. It is also very easy to make. So it’s a true Evergreen, which will please beginners as well as advanced cooks. Light up the charcoal in your kamado and prepare the pork belly in the meantime. Then you place the meat on the Big Green Egg and using your core thermometer, you automatically get a signal when it is time to eat. This is sure to become one of your favourite recipes!
- 1 kg pork belly, without rind
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- ½ tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor with the Round Drip Pan and the Stainless Steel Grid on top, to a temperature of 120°C.
- In the meantime, make crosshatch cuts in the layer of fat on the pork belly. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Remove the leaves from the thyme and the needles from the rosemary and chop finely. Mix the pepper with the salt and ground cumin seed.
- Brush the pork belly all over with the olive oil and sprinkle with the spice mixture. Press the spices into the meat somewhat. Place the meat on your worktop with the fat side up. Sprinkle the layer of fat with the garlic and herbs, also pressing them into the fat. Stick the ends of the bay leaves into the layer of fat.
- Place the pork belly on the grid with the fat side up. Insert the pin of the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the centre of the meat and close the lid of the EGG. Set the core temperature of the thermometer to 85°C. Let the meat cook 1½-2 hours until this core temperature has been reached.
- Remove the slow-cooked pork belly from the Big Green Egg and cut the meat into nice slices.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?