Scallops, grilled in their shells, with hazelnuts and grilled chicory
Grilled scallops make a delicious amuse and are very easy to prepare. As this amuse is so quick to make, it is ideal as part of a Big Green Egg Christmas menu or as finger food at a Christmas party. The scallops are cooked in their shells, so make sure you don’t cut them loose.
For the scallops
- 6 scallops in their shells
- 3 heads of chicory
- 50g white hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp. hazelnut oil
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 230°C.
- Open the scallop shells as follows: Hold the scallop with the flat side of the shell on your hand and the smooth edge against your fingers. Carefully pry a narrow and flat kitchen knife between the shell halves at around wrist height until you can slide the knife into the shell. Hold the knife with the cutting edge angled downwards slightly against the flat shell and carefully cut clockwise (if you are right-handed). Once the shell opens, break the halves apart. Ensure the scallop remains attached to the rounded half of the shell. Remove the intestines around the scallop by hand. Rinse and clean the scallop in its shell under the cold tap. Open all shells in this way.
- Meanwhile, halve the chicory heads lengthwise and finely chop the hazelnuts.
- Place the scallop shells upside down with the scallop on the grid and put the chicory next to them, cut side down. Grill for 2 minutes.
- Turn the shells and sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts in them. Turn the chicory 1/4 turn. Grill for 2 minutes. Remove the chicory from the EGG and let the scallops cook for another 2 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the grilled chicory into strips. Sprinkle with hazelnut oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the shells from the EGG. Divide the chicory over them and serve immediately.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!