Thai coconut soup
Do you like a spicy soup? Give this vegetarian soup a try. It’s based on Oriental ingredients such as lemon grass, chilli pepper, bamboo shoots, beansprouts and glass noodles. Using the Cast Iron Dutch Oven on the Big Green Egg will turn this into a delicious Thai soup. If you want, you can prepare this Thai soup in advance and heat it up at a later stage.
For the soup
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 red chilli pepper
- 2 limes
- 3 cm fresh ginger
- ½ bunch of coriander
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 1 L coconut cream
- 1 red pepper
- 4 spring onions
- 10 baby corns
- 1 can of bamboo shoots (100 g)
- 100 g bean sprouts
- 100 g glass noodles
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to 180°C. Once the grid is in the EGG, place the Cast Iron Dutch Oven on top of it to heat. Meanwhile, coarsely chop the lemon grass. Peel and roughly chop the onion and garlic. Cut the limes into segments, the chilli pepper into rings and the ginger root into slices.
- Heat the sunflower oil in the Dutch Oven. Add the chopped ingredients and the sprigs of coriander and fry for several minutes. Stir occasionally while frying and close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Deglaze with the vegetable stock and coconut cream. Close the lid of the EGG, bring the liquid to the boil and leave to gently cook for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, halve the bell pepper, remove the stem and the seeds, and cut the flesh into cubes. Cut the spring onions into rings and the baby corns into slices. Drain the bamboo shoots. Pluck the leaves from the coriander and chop them into thin strips.
- Remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG and pour the contents through a sieve into a pan or heat resistant bowl. Season with salt and pepper and return the Dutch Oven to the grid. Carefully add the bell pepper, spring onions, baby corn, bamboo shoots and bean sprouts.
- Gently crush the glass noodles over the Dutch Oven. Close the lid of the EGG and leave the soup to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG. Spoon the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the finely chopped coriander.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!