Savoury heart-shaped tart
Want to bake a savoury tart, or a quiche, in your Big Green Egg for Mother’s Day? Add some joy to it by using a heart-shaped tin. A great way to make this savoury tart very special. The base is made of a crispy puff pastry with a filling of egg, cream and vegetables prepared in the kamado. To make it look extra festive you garnish it with cherry tomatoes, avocado, smoked salmon fillet and lime wedges. Prefer to make a vegetarian quiche? Then leave out the salmon.
- 2 onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ fennel bulb
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 leeks
- 50 g butter
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- 500 ml whipping cream
- 4 sheets of puff pastry (12 x 12 cm, frozen)
- butter, for greasing
- blind baking materials, such as ceramic beans, dried beans or split peas
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- 100 g of grated mozzarella
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- ½ avocado
- 1 lime
- 100 g smoked salmon fillet (slices)
- Shiso Purple or dill
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 200°C.
- Meanwhile, peel the onions and cut into rings. Cut the bell pepper in half, remove the stalk, the seeds and membrane and cut the flesh into strips. Cut the fennel into thin strips. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Cut the leeks into rings.
- Melt the butter in the Green Dutch Oven. Add the onion, bell pepper and fennel and fry for about 5 minutes until the onions become translucent. Add the garlic and the curry powder, fry for 2-3 minutes and pour the whipping cream into the pan; close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Add the leeks once the whipping cream boils. Wait until the whipping cream mixture boils again, remove the pan from the EGG and sieve the contents. Keep the vegetables separate and pour the whipping cream back into the pan. Place the pan on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and leave to reduce for approx. 5 minutes until about 400 ml of cream is left.
- Remove the pan from the EGG, pour the contents into a bowl and leave to cool. In the meantime, allow the puff pastry sheets to thaw. Grease a heart-shaped silicon baking tin, with a 1 litre volume, with butter and line it with parchment paper. Roll out the puff pastry sheets lightly, prick all over with a fork and line the tin with the puff pastry. Cover the puff pastry with parchment paper and fill the tin with the blind baking material. Place the tin on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and bake the base for about 12 minutes until the edges turn golden brown.
- Remove the tin from the EGG and remove the blind baking material and the upper layer of parchment paper. Whisk the eggs and egg yolks into the reduced cooled down cream and add salt and pepper to taste. Fold the drained vegetables into the egg mixture and distribute evenly in the tin.
- Place a cold Baking Stone on the grid and place the tin on it. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the savoury tart for about 15 minutes until the filling has somewhat solidified.
- Sprinkle the filling with mozzarella and bake the tart for approx. 12 minutes until the cheese has melted, the filling has solidified completely and the puff pastry is a lovely golden brown. In the meantime, for the garnish, halve the cherry tomatoes. Remove the stone and peel of the avocado and cut the flesh into small pieces. Cut the lime into wedges.
- Remove the savoury tart from the EGG and garnish with the cherry tomatoes, the avocado, the salmon fillet, the lime wedges and the Shiso Purple or the dill.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?