Italian quiche with grilled vegetables and tomato salad
Italian cuisine is so much more than just pizza and pasta. What would you say to a delicious vegetarian quiche? In this recipe, we prepare this dish step-by-step on the Big Green Egg. First you grill the vegetables for the filling on the Kamado before you make the quiche and then bake it on your EGG. This will make your quiche even more flavourful! And the tomato salad with provolone? A lovely complement to complete your meal.
- 1 270 g roll of fresh puff pastry
- flour for dusting
- beans or rice for blind baking
- 1 head of radicchio
- 1 red onion
- 2 shallots
- 1 green courgette
- 1 yellow courgette
- 1 aubergine
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of marjoram
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 300 g provolone
- 200 g walnuts
- 100 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 radishes
- 50 g provolone
- 1 shallot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 180°C. Cut 2 circles of parchment paper the same size as the Cast Iron Skillet (Small) .
- Cut the radicchio into sections 2-3 cm thick for the filling. Peel the red onion and the shallots. Cut the onion, courgettes and aubergine in slices of approx. 1 cm and cut the shallots in half lengthwise. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Remove the leaves from the rosemary, thyme, and marjoram, and chop fine. Toss the vegetables with olive oil, sprinkle with the garlic and herbs, and mix well.
- For the pie crust, roll out the puff pastry on a countertop dusted with flour to generously cover the base of the skillet. Put a circle of parchment paper in the skillet, put the pastry over it (allowing some to hang over the edges), and prick with a fork. Cover with the second piece of parchment. Fill the skillet with beans or rice for blind baking.
- Place the cut up vegetables for the filling on the grid and grill for approx. 2 minutes. Turn the vegetables over and grill for another 2 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the EGG and leave to cool.
- Remove the Cast Iron Grid and put the Stainless Steel Grid with the (cold) Baking Stone in de EGG. Place the skillet on the stone, close the lid of the EGG, and bake the crust approx. 20 minutes blind until the edges of the pastry start to turn brown but before it’s completely cooked.
- Take the skillet and the Baking Stone out of the EGG (the Baking Stone can then cool a bit). Cut any pastry that is hanging over the edge neatly with a serrated knife. Remove the blind baking filling and the upper layer of parchment.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the egg yolks for the filling. Stir in the whipping cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut the provolone into 2 cm cubes. Mix the provolone and walnuts with the grilled vegetables and the egg mixture and arrange in the baked pastry crust.
- Place the somewhat cooled Baking Stone on the grid again. Place the skillet on the Baking Stone and close the lid of the EGG. Bake the quiche for approx. 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the quiche with Parmesan cheese and bake another 15 minutes until the quiche is done and the cheese is a golden brown.
- Take the quiche out of the Big Green Egg and leave it to cool slightly so that the filling can set. Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes, radishes and provolone in thick slices for the salad. Peel the shallot and cut into thin half rings. Mix the vegetables with the provolone, sprinkle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and add pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve the quiche warm or at room temperature with the salad as a side dish.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?