Poultry stew with grilled vegetables
When you think of stew, you probably think of cold, wintery evenings. But we can prove that even in summer or late summer, making a stew in your Big Green Egg is always a great idea. You just use lighter ingredients in your stew. In this chicken, vegetable and white wine-based recipe, you first grill the chicken and vegetables on the cast-iron grid of of your kamado. This gives this sunny stew even more flavour. After that, you can leave the work to the Dutch Oven and after just over half an hour of stewing, you can sit down and enjoy!
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g Puy lentils
- 4 small winter carrots
- 2 slices of celeriac about 2 cm thick
- 4 onions
- 100 g chorizo
- 400 ml white wine
- 1 l poultry stock
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- Remove the chicken thighs from the fridge. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Remove the leaves from the thyme sprig and the rosemary needles and chop finely. Rub the chicken thighs with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the garlic, thyme and rosemary. Leave the chicken to marinate in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg, and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 200°C. Meanwhile, bring the lentils to the boil in 300 millilitres of water. Drain them as soon as the water boils and set aside. Peel the carrots and celeriac and peel and halve the onions. Cut the chorizo into small cubes. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator.
- Coat the carrots, celeriac slices and onions with the rest of the olive oil. Place the chicken thighs and vegetables on the grill and close the lid of the EGG. Grill the chicken and vegetables for about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken and vegetables over and grill for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the EGG. Remove the grid, place the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG and place the oval Green Dutch Oven on top to preheat. While you wait, cut the vegetables in coarse pieces.
- Add the chicken, vegetables, lentils and chorizo to the Dutch oven. Close the lid of the EGG and fry for about 10 minutes; stir the vegetable mixture occasionally.
- Deglaze with the white wine and bring to the boil. Meanwhile, heat the poultry stock and add it to the pan when the wine boils. Raise the temperature of the EGG to 140 °C and let the stew simmer for about 35 minutes. Meanwhile, pick the leaves from the parsley and chop finely.
- Make a paste with the potato starch and a tablespoon of water. Remove the Dutch oven from the Big Green Egg and stir the paste into the stew to slightly thicken the liquid. Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as the parsley, and place the pan on a heat-resistant mat on the table.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?