Mousse of lightly smoked Roquefort with chicory
Looking for a delicious vegetarian recipe as a main course over Christmas? It is incredibly easy to make this mousse with Roquefort smoked in the Big Green Egg, and the flavour and presentation are spectacular! Smoke the cheese in your kamado well before dinner to incorporate it into the mousse. Allow the mousse itself to set in the fridge for at least 1 hour, but you can also make it a day in advance. The dish? You put it in the middle of the table, because what could be more cosy than shared dining over Christmas? If you don’t have any agar at home, you can use gelatine as an alternative, but please note that the mousse won’t be vegetarian.
- 280 g Roquefort
- 17 g gelatine sheets or 5 g agar
- 150 ml cream sherry
- 100 ml water
- 500 g ice cubes
- 500 ml whipping cream
- 6 stalks of chicory
- 5 sprigs of chervil
- Farmhouse bread
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 160°C. Place the Roquefort in a fireproof dish.
- Sprinkle a handful of Cherry Wood Chips on the glowing charcoal, set up the convEGGtor and Stainless Steel Grid and place the dish with the cheese on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and smoke the Roquefort for about 10 minutes. Using the convEGGtor will lower the temperature to around 110°C, which is also the intention.
- Meanwhile, soak the gelatine sheets in cold water for at least 5 minutes if you are making the non-vegetarian version. Bring the cream sherry to the boil with the 100 millilitres of water.
- Remove the pan with the sherry mixture from the heat. Squeeze the gelatine leaves if using, add the gelatine or agar (for a vegetarian recipe) to the sherry mixture and stir until the gelatine or agar has dissolved. If using agar, heat the sherry mixture for about 2 more minutes. Remove the bowl with the smoked Roquefort from the EGG, add to a food processor bowl along with the sherry mixture and blend it finely. Prepare a bowl with the ice cubes and spoon the Roquefort mixture into a bowl. Place these between the ice and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, lightly whip the cream.
- Remove the bowl with the Roquefort mixture from the ice and fold in a third of the whipped cream. Fold this mixture back into the whipped cream. Pour the Roquefort mousse into a glass dish and allow to stiffen in the fridge for at least 1 hour. You can also do this the day before, but cover the bowl.
- Remove the Roquefort mousse from the fridge about 15 minutes in advance to let it warm up slightly. Meanwhile, cut the bottoms off the chicory stalks and pluck the leaves off.
- Stick the chicory leaves into the Roquefort mousse and garnish with the chervil. Serve with the farmhouse bread.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?