Beer Can Chicken with amber beer and roasted vegetables
Fancy some nice, juicy chicken? With this recipe for Beer Can Chicken, you easily create a complete and delicious dish on your Big Green Egg. While you chicken is cooking on the kamado, the vegetables and potatoes are roasting below in a skillet. The fat dripping from the chicken lands on the vegetables, making them incredibly tasty. Do you not have a beer can holder to hold the can? Then you can pour the beer into the Ceramic Poultry Roaster. This has exactly the same effect.
- 1 organic farm chicken of approx. 1.5 kg
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 can of amber beer, 330 ml
- 150 ml sweet BBQ sauce
- 300g small new potatoes
- ½ celeriac
- 2 yellow carrots
- 5 shallots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 4 sprigs of sage
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1 tsp lemon grass powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 180°C.
- Meanwhile, for the vegetables, thoroughly rinse the small new potatoes and pat them dry. Peel the celeriac and cut it into 1.5 cm cubes. Peel the carrots and cut into cubes. Peel and chop the shallots and garlic into coarse pieces. Pick the leaves from the sage and the needles from the rosemary, and coarsely chop. Mix these ingredients with the sunflower oil and put them to the side.
- Mix all ingredients for the rub together. Carefully lift the skin away from the chicken meat by sliding your finger between the skin and the meat and moving it from left to right. Spread some of the rub between the skin and the meat and rub it in well. Rub the chicken skin with the sunflower oil and sprinkle the outside of the skin with the rub as well.
- Drink a third of the Palm can and place the can on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and heat for approx. 20 minutes, until steam rises from the can.
- Carefully place the can in a beer can holder and place the chicken across the holder. Place this in the Cast Iron Skillet (Small) and divide the vegetables around it. Place the skillet on the grid, and insert the pin of the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the femur of the chicken, making sure you do not hit the bone. Close the lid of the EGG and set the core temperature to 65°C. Let the chicken cook until this temperature has been reached.
- Brush the BBQ sauce over the chicken when this has reached a core temperature of 65°C; if the sauce if too thick to properly distribute, you can dilute it with some water. Close the lid of the EGG and set the core temperature to 72°C. Brush the BBQ sauce once or twice more over the chicken, before reaching the set core temperature.
- Remove the skillet with the Beer Can Chicken from the Big Green Egg and sprinkle the vegetables with salt to taste.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?