Grilled monkfish with roasted pepper
Monkfish has an impressive appearance and an equally impressive flavour. The fish only has one round backbone and no ventral bones, as opposed to most other fish. In this recipe for monkfish grilled on the Big Green Egg, leave the backbone in. Buy fillets with the backbone in, or a whole monkfish that you can easily clean and fillet yourself.
- 2 red onions
- 2 yellow pointed peppers
- 2 red pointed peppers
- 4 monkfish fillets with the backbone in of about 250 g each
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ras el hanout
- 4 tips of thyme
- 4 tips of rosemary
- Place the peppers on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Roast the peppers for about 5 minutes. In the meantime, rub the monkfish fillets and onion slices with olive oil. Sprinkle the monkfish fillets with ras el hanout and salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the peppers over and put the monkfish fillets and onion slices on the grid. Grill the onion slices for about 3 minutes. Turn over and grill for another 3 minutes. Grill the monkfish for 4-5 minutes and then turn. Put a sprig of thyme and rosemary into the backbone of each fillet and cook the monkfish for 4-5 minutes until it reaches a core temperature of 62°C. You can measure the temperature with the Instant Read Thermometer.
- Remove the onions from the EGG. When the monkfish has reached the specified core temperature, remove the peppers from the EGG. Carefully remove the skin, stalks and seeds from the peppers. Cut the flesh into strips and sprinkle over salt and pepper to taste. Separate the onion rings.
- Place a grilled monkfish fillet on each plate, then arrange the onion rings and pepper strips around it.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?