Grilled leg of lamb with roasted vegetables
When you’re about to cook a leg of lamb, you will obviously do that on the Kamado a.k.a. your Big Green Egg. It will add more flavour to your leg of lamb and you can roast some tasty vegetables at the very same time to serve with it.
LEG OF LAMB
- 1 small leg of lamb
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 2-3 tbsp Turkish spice mix (see basic recipe or from the store)
- 1 tbsp dark brown caster sugar
- 2 parsnips
- 2 red beetroots
- 2 yellow beetroots
- 2 potatoes
- olive oil
BASIC RECIPE TURKISH SPICE MIX (OPTIONAL)
- 5 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp dried coriander
- ½ tbsp dried thyme
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix all the ingredients for the Turkish spice mix if you want to prepare it yourself. Cut off any loose skin and fat from the leg of lamb. For the rub, peel and finely chop the garlic. Remove the needles from the rosemary and the leaves from the thyme, and chop finely. Mix all the ingredients for the rub with salt to taste. Brush the leg of lamb with olive oil and coat firmly with the rub. Leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 1.5 hours.
- Remove the leg of lamb from the refrigerator half an hour before you intend roasting it. Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the grid, to a temperature of 150°C. Meanwhile, wash the vegetables but don’t peel them.
- Place the leg of lamb on the grid. Push the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the core of the meat. Close the lid of the EGG and set the temperature of the core thermometer. Maintain 55-58°C for medium-rare, 60-63°C for medium and 65-67°C for medium to well done.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with olive oil and add salt to taste when the core temperature of the leg of lamb is about 25°C below the desired core temperature. Place the vegetables on the grid next to the leg of lamb and leave to roast for about 1 hour.
- Remove the leg of lamb and the vegetables from the EGG. Halve or quarter the vegetables and serve them on an attractive board together with the leg of lamb.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?