Leg of lamb with thyme and rosemary
With a good leg of lamb recipe like this one and a Big Green Egg, you can easily put a delicious meal on the table. You don’t need to marinate the leg of lamb, so you don’t have to spend a lot of time on preparations. And when the meat is on the EGG, all you have to do is wait until the core temperature of the leg of lamb is reached.
LEG OF LAMB
- 1 boned leg of lamb, 1.8 to 2 kg, boneless, skinned
- sea salt
- 5 bulbs of solo garlic (Chinese garlic)
- 2 red chilli peppers
- 8 sprigs of rosemary
- 15 sprigs of thyme
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat the EGG, with the convEGGtor, to 150°C.
- Meanwhile, for the herb mixture, peel and finely chop the garlic. Remove the stalk from the chilli peppers and slice the flesh finely. If you like spicy food, you can leave the seeds in. If you prefer a milder flavour, remove the seeds. Remove the needles from the rosemary and the sprigs from the thyme, and chop finely. Mix these ingredients.
- Sprinkle the leg of lamb with sea salt and rub in the herb mixture by dabbing it. Put some of the mixture in the opening where the bone was.
- Place the Disposable Drip Pan on the convEGGtor, place the grid in the EGG and place the leg of lamb on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and insert the pen of the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the centre of the meat.
- Close the lid of the EGG and set the core temperature of the thermometer to 54°C. Leave the leg of lamb to cook until this temperature has been reached. This will take about 90 minutes.
- Remove the leg of leg of lamb with thyme and rosemary from the EGG and cover loosely with aluminium foil. Allow the meat to rest for approx. 10 minutes before cutting it into nice slices.
Are you looking for a tasty side dish? These roasted artichokes are a perfect match for this leg of lamb from the Big Green Egg.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!