Durum bread with cranberries and nuts
This is a durum flour based recipe, a type of flour made from durum wheat, which is also used to make pasta. And since you’re in control when baking the bread, you can add some cranberries and crispy roasted nuts. The result will be a delicious nut bread from the Big Green Egg.
For the durum bread
- 200 g hazelnuts
- 200 g pecans
- 800 g durum flour + extra for dusting
- 16 g dry yeast
- 80 g butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 530 ml water
- 14 g sea salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 200 g cranberries
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid and the Cast Iron Skillet, to a temperature of 200°C. Meanwhile, coarsely chop the hazelnuts and pecans.
- Spread the coarsely chopped nuts over the Cast Iron Skillet and close the lid of the EGG. Roast the nuts for approx. 15 minutes until golden brown. Turn them over halfway.
- Remove the Cast Iron Skillet with the nuts from the Big Green Egg using the EGGmitt and extinguish the EGG by closing the air regulator and the dual function metal top. Allow the nuts to cool down fully.
- Mix the flour, yeast, butter, lemon zest and water in a food processor, using a dough hook (or knead by hand). Add the sea salt after a few minutes. Check if a consistent dough has formed and if the dough has achieved a temperature of 25°C using the Instant Read Digital Thermometer. You could also check the consistency by carefully stretching a small ball of dough. What you should see, is a thin and transparent outer layer that will not tear. Is the temperature of the dough lower or did the dough tear? Then continue kneading for a bit longer. Has the dough reached the right temperature? Then add the olive oil, cranberries and roasted nuts and continue to knead for a short while until properly mixed.
- Shape the dough into a ball by folding the sides downwards and under creating a nice round loaf. Place it on the counter on a clean and flour sprinkled tea cloth. Cover it with a second flour sprinkled tea cloth (with the flour side on the dough) and cover with foil. Allow to rise for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Press the air from the dough, fold it double and again fold the sides downwards and under. Again, place the dough on the tea cloth, cover as above and allow to rise for 45 minutes. Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg approximately 20 minutes before the end of the rise time and heat to a temperature of 230°C.
- Place the convEGGtor and the grid with the Flat Baking Stone on it in the EGG. Close the lid and let the EGG heat up again.
- Score the dough crosswise with a sharp blade to prevent the bread from tearing during baking. Sprinkle the Flat Baking Stone with flour and place the dough on it. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the bread for about 1 hour until golden brown and done.
- Check if the bread is done by sticking a metal skewer into it. It should come out dry. Remove the bread from the EGG and leave to cool.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!