Chocolate cake with grilled pineapple
This video shows you how to make delicious chocolate fondants on your Big Green Egg. Everyone will love these hot chocolate fondants, also known as chocolate lava cakes, with their beautiful soft insides.
To make it extra special, some slightly spicy grilled pineapple is added. This will be a dessert your guests will never forget!
For the batter
- 155 g dark chocolate
- 155 g butter + extra for greasing the tin
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 70 g sugar
- 80 g flour
For the filling
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 1 unsprayed lime
For the sauce
- 1 pineapple
- 1 red chilli pepper
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor, Cast Iron Grid and the Half Baking Stone to a temperature of 180°C. Grease 8 round oven tins (Ø 10 cm) with butter.
- In the meantime, for the filling, heat the whipping cream in a small saucepan over low heat on the stove. Break the chocolate for the filling into pieces and finely grate the peel of the lime. You will only need the zest.
- Stir the finely grated lime zest and the chocolate into the heated whipping cream until the chocolate has melted. Pour the filling into a piping bag.
- Break the chocolate for the batter into pieces and put it in a saucepan with the butter. Allow to melt over low heat and stir well.
- Beat the eggs, the egg yolks and the sugar until fluffy. Fold the melted chocolate mixture and then the flour into the eggs, and pour the batter into a piping bag.
- Fill the buttered oven dishes half way with the batter. Pipe some of the filling into the middle of each dish and cover with the remaining batter.
- Place the oven dishes on the Half Moon Baking Stone and close the lid of the EGG. Bake the cakes for around 20 minutes until done. In the meantime, cut off the pineapple peel and cut the fruit into quarters lengthwise. Cut off the hard core and cut each quarter into slices of about half a centimetre thick. Remove the stem and seeds from the red chilli pepper and cut the pepper in half lengthwise (you will only need half a pepper). Rub the pineapple slices with the inside of the pepper.
- Place the pineapple slices on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and grill for about 2 minutes, turning the slices a quarter turn after 1 minute to create nice grill lines. Turn the pineapple slices over and grill for another 2 minutes.
- Serve the grilled pineapple with the still-warm cakes with their liquid filling.Tip
A delicious alternative is to serve grilled watermelon with the chocolate cakes. Cut slices of 2 centimetre thick and grate some lemon zest over the watermelon before grilling.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!