Chili con carne
Did you know that chili con carne is one of the ultimate Tex-Mex dishes? A fusion cuisine developed in Texas, based on Mexican cuisine. Considering that the ceramic of the Big Green Egg is produced in Mexico as well, this is actually a very appropriate dish to prepare in your kamado. The best of both worlds that by now are known throughout the world.
- 1 tbsp Hungarian paprika powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder (sweet)
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 100 g chorizo
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 white onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 8 fresh baby corns
- 2 red Spanish chilli peppers
- 2x 400 g tins of kidney beans
- 2 tbsp mild olive oil
- 1 kg beef mince
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 l beef stock
- 200 g mini mushrooms
- 1 sprig of coriander
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 220°C. Mix the ingredients for the spice mix.
- Cut the chorizo into cubes. Cut the bell peppers in half, remove the stems, the seeds and membrane and cut the flesh into large pieces. Cut the tomatoes into chunks. Peel the onions and cut them into half rings. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Cut the baby corn into pieces of approx. 1 cm. Remove the stalks and seeds from the chilli peppers and finely chop the flesh. Rinse the kidney beans under cold running water and leave to drain in a colander.
- Place the Cast Iron Dutch Oven on the grid and pour the olive oil into the pan. Add the chorizo, bell pepper, tomato, onion and garlic and close the lid of the EGG. Fry for about 8 minutes until the onion is translucent. Stir every now and then and close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Add the mince to the Dutch Oven and fry for about 10-15 minutes until done; stir every now and then.
- Stir the flour into the mince mixture, pour the stock into the pan and add 2-3 tablespoons of the spice mix. Close the lid of the EGG and wait until the stock is boiling. The rest of the spice mix will not be used in this recipe. Store in an airtight container for the next time that you prepare this chili con carne.
- Stir the corn, the chilli pepper and mushrooms into the chili, wait until the mixture is boiling again and leave to simmer for 5-6 minutes. Mix the kidney beans into the mince mixture and heat until the beans are warm; close the lid of the EGG after each action. In the meantime, pick the leaves of the sprig of coriander and chop finely.
- Remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG and carefully taste the chili con carne (it will be hot!). Add some more of the spice mix if you like your chili to be extra spicy. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with the naan bread.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?