Quesadilla with sour cream
Quesadillas are well-known in Mexican cuisine, the country where the ceramic of the Big Green Egg is manufactured. Here, we use the Cast Iron Skillet to prepare this delicacy. You could also prepare them on the flat side of the (Half Moon) Cast Iron Plancha Griddle or even in a Dutch Oven placed on the grid of the Big Green Egg. Using a Dutch Oven will make it slightly harder to neatly arrange, turn over and remove the quesadillas from the pan. A spatula would be of great assistance here.
For the quesadillas
- 1 small head of broccoli
- ½ green courgette
- 8 spring onions
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch of basil
- 200 g grated mature cheese
- 6 small tortilla wraps (ca. Ø15 cm)
- 200 g soft goat cheese
- 125 g sour cream
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid and the Cast Iron Skillet on top of it, to a temperature of 220°C.
- Meanwhile, cut the broccoli into very small florets. Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil, add the broccoli florets and blanch for approx. 4 minutes. Drain and rinse the broccoli with cold water. Let it drain well. Cut the courgette into small cubes and the spring onions into thin rings. Halve the avocado, remove the stone and then peel and cut the flesh into small cubes. Pluck the leaves from the basil and chop finely. Mix the grated cheese with the vegetables, avocado and basil.
- Spread goat cheese on one side of each wrap. Spread a layer of the vegetable mix on three wraps and place the other wraps, goat cheese side down, on the vegetable mix layer. Press gently.
- Place a quesadilla in the skillet, close the lid of the EGG and allow to bake for approx. 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place the sour cream into a bowl and stir to loosen it.
- Flip the quesadilla and bake the other side for approx. 5 minutes until golden brown. Remove the quesadilla from the skillet, cut into 4 slices and serve with the sour cream. Bake the remaining quesadillas in the same manner.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!