Wild boar stew with pancetta wrapped potatoes
It’s best to prepare this delicious Big Green Egg wild boar stew with potatoes wrapped in pancetta one day in advance, as the stew will be even more delicious the following day! For a real winter taste, you could use IPA or bock beer instead of lager.
For the wild boar stewing steak
- 1 kg of wild boar stewing steak (or haunch without the bone)
- 1 thick slice pancetta of 100 g
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 200 g carrots
- 50 g ginger root
- 300 g celeriac
- 20 black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 100 g dried prunes
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 bottles of IPA or bock beer
For the potatoes
- 12 small potatoes of equal size
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 12 slices pancetta
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to 250°C. Cut the wild boar stewing steak into small 2 cm cubes and the thick slice of pancetta into 1 cm cubes. Peel the shallots and the garlic. Slice the shallots into coarse rings and chop the garlic into slices. Wash the carrots, peel the ginger root and then cut it into ½ cm thick slices. Peel the celeriac and cut into 1 cm cubes. Crush the peppercorns in a mortar.
- Place the Cast Iron Dutch Oven on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and wait until the pan is hot. Add the sunflower oil and subsequently the pancetta cubes and shallot rings. Fry the shallots until transparent. Now add the wild boar stewing steak and fry on all sides until light brown.
- Add the garlic, carrots, ginger root, celeriac, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, prunes and sprigs of thyme. Mix well and pour the beer into the pan. Close the lid of the EGG and bring the liquid to the boil.
- Take the Cast Iron Dutch Oven from the EGG. Lift the grid, place the convEGGtor with the grid on top. Place the Cast Iron Dutch Oven back on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and heat to a temperature of approx. 120°C. Leave to stew for about 4 hours until the meat is soft.
- Check if the meat is soft (continue stewing if necessary), remove the lid from the Cast Iron Dutch Oven and close the lid of the EGG. Leave to stew for another 15 to 20 minutes, allowing the liquid to reduce and the wild boar stew to gain that delicious Big Green Egg flavour.
- Take the Cast Iron Dutch Oven from the EGG and leave to cool. Place the lid on the pan and store in the refrigerator.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to 180°C. Take the Cast Iron Dutch Oven with the wild boar stew from the refrigerator.
- Wash the potatoes, then peel and crush the garlic. Put everything in a pan, add one litre of water, 20 g of salt and the rosemary, and bring to the boil. Boil the potatoes for approx. 15 minutes until done. Drain the potatoes and leave to cool.
- Place the Cast Iron Dutch Oven, with lid, on the grid to heat up the stew for approx. 25 minutes.
- Wrap a slice of pancetta around each potato. Place them on the grid, next to the Cast Iron Dutch Oven, and grill them on all sides until the bacon is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the Cast Iron Dutch Oven and the potatoes from the EGG. Divide the wild boar stew among the plates or place the pan on the table, on a fireproof surface, and serve it with the pancetta wrapped potatoes.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!