Steamed cabbage florets with harissa-yogurt sauce
Did you know that you can also steam vegetables on your Big Green Egg? Steaming is a very healthy preparation whereby vegetables are cooked in the steam of boiling water. Vitamins are retained, the flavour of the vegetables remains very pure and thanks to your EGG they get an extra tasty flavour accent – as in this recipe with steamed broccoli and various types of cauliflower.
- ¼ cauliflower
- ¼ purple cauliflower
- ¼ romanesco
- ¼ head of broccoli
- 200 ml yoghurt
- 1 tbsp harissa
- ½ tsp curry powder
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Fill the Big Green Egg to about 10 cm under the fire ring with charcoal. Put 3 starters in a triangle, approximately 12-15 cm apart and light them. Leave the lid open until the centre of the charcoal is glowing but still black on the outside. This makes the temperature in the EGG high enough for the water to boil, but it does not get too hot. The ideal temperature is between 100-110˚C.
- In the meantime, cut the cauliflower and broccoli into florets and put them in a bamboo steam basket.
- Place the rack of the 2-Piece Multi Level Rack of the EGGspander Kit with the ring upwards in the Big Green Egg and place the accompanying small rack in the lower holder (low-level ‘Cowboy Style’ grill setting), right above the glowing charcoal. Place the Disposable Drip Pan on the grid, close the lid of your EGG and bring it to the correct temperature. Meanwhile, bring about 3 dl of water to the boil.
- Gently pour a layer of the boiling water into the Drip Pan. Place the 2 Stainless Steel Half Grids of the EGGspander Kit (or the Stainless Steel Grid) and place the steam basket with the vegetables on it. Close the lid of the EGG and steam the vegetables for 20 to 25 minutes until done. Ensure that the temperature remains between 100-110˚ C.
- In the meantime, mix the ingredients for the sauce with salt to taste and serve with the steamed cabbage florets.
Don’t have an EGGspander Kit (yet)? Then place the convEGGtor to place your Drip Pan on.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!