Are you familiar with English Shepherds’ Pie? The traditional recipe consists of a layer of minced lamb topped with mashed potatoes. It’s a perfect recipe to make in your kamado. We’ve given it a delicious twist by adding vegetables to the mince filling with a topping of coarse potatoes and a delicious sauce with cheddar cheese. Ultimate pub food from the Big Green Egg!
- 4 slightly floury large potatoes
- 2 white onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp ground cumin seed
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 400g minced lamb
- 2 tbsp flour
- 100 ml poultry stock
- 100 ml tomato juice
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp of butter
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp flour
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 200 g grated cheddar
- 4-5 sprigs of thyme
- 4-5 sprigs of rosemary
- Place the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat it to 220°C with the Stainless Steel Grid. Meanwhile, for the topping, peel and slice the potatoes into course pieces. Bring the potatoes to the boil in a pan with lightly salted water. Turn down the heat and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes until done.
- For the filling, peel and chop the onions and garlic. Remove the stems, seeds and membranes of the halved bell peppers and cut the flesh into pieces. Remove the leaves from the thyme sprigs and the needles from the rosemary, and chop finely. Peel and finely chop the shallot and garlic for the sauce. Drain the potatoes and set them aside.
- For the filling, heat the butter in the Green Dutch Oven on the grid. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, thyme, rosemary, cumin seeds and nutmeg. Close the lid of the EGG and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the minced lamb and fry for about 10 minutes until the meat is loose and almost done; stir occasionally and close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Mix the flour into the mince mixture and cook for about 2 minutes. Deglaze with the poultry stock and tomato juice and simmer gently for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG, add pepper and salt to taste to the filling, and divide it over a baking dish. Spread the cooked potatoes over this. Clean the Dutch Oven and place it back on the grid. For the sauce, melt the butter in the pan and add the shallot, garlic and curry powder and fry for 2-3 minutes. Mix in the flour and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Deglaze with the whipping cream and stir well. Sprinkle the cheddar into the pan and heat for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the EGG and spread the sauce over the potatoes. Stick sprigs of thyme and rosemary into the shepherd’s pie as garnish. Place the baking dish on the grid and cook the shepherd’s pie for about 15 minutes until the sauce turns light golden brown in colour.
- Remove the Shepherd’s Pie from the Big Green Egg and serve with the tutti frutti and red onion compote.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?