Roasted whole chicken with red fruit sauce
In this recipe for whole chicken, you don’t have to marinate the meat or rub it in with a rub like you often do when grilling chicken. The thyme gives the meat a delicious taste. A perfect match with the Big Green Egg fruit sauce.
- 1 chicken of approx.1.2 kg
- 1 bunch of lemon thyme
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- 3 banana shallots (oval shallots)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g blueberries
- 150 g blackcurrants
- 150 g blackberries
- 400 ml red wine
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor, the Disposable Drip Pan and the grill , to 200 °C.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken on your work surface. Remove the lemon thyme leaves and chop them finely. Rub the chicken all around with the olive oil and sprinkle first with sea salt and then with the finely chopped thyme; keep a quarter of the thyme aside for the sauce.
- Place the chicken on the grill and insert the pin of the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the centre of one of the chicken thighs. Close the lid of the EGG and set the core temperature to 72 °C. Meanwhile, peel and chop the banana shallots for the sauce and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the EGG when the set core temperature has been reached and cover loosely with aluminium foil; do not completely pack the chicken, this will be at the expense of the crispy skin.
- Put the lid of the Green Dutch Oven (round) on the grill and heat the olive oil in the lid. Add the banana shallots and fry until glazed over
- Add the thyme, blueberries, blackcurrants and blackberries and add the red wine. Close the lid of the EGG and let the sauce cook for 15 minutes.
- Thin some cornflour with a little water and mix enough of the paste into the sauce until it has the desired consistency (add more if necessary); let the sauce simmer for another 2 minutes and add salt to taste.
- Remove the lid with the sauce from the EGG and serve with the roasted chicken.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?