Risotto with roasted peppers and grilled asparagus
Have you ever made risotto in your Big Green Egg? It’s easier than you may think and the taste is to die for! Just go for it and give this delicious vegetarian herb risotto with a twist a try, because instead of white wine you’ll be adding splashes of sake to the Dutch Oven. And as the charcoal in your kamado is glowing anyway, serve the dish with vegetables, such as roasted peppers and grilled green asparagus.
- 1 bunch of green asparagus
- 4 shallots
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red pointed peppers
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 500 g risotto rice (arborio)
- approx. 500 ml poultry stock
- approx. 500 ml sake
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch chervil
- ½ bunch of tarragon
- 2 pickled lemon wedges
- 125 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 50 g butter
- Brush the asparagus with 1 tbsp of the olive oil and place them on the grid. Grill the asparagus for approx. 2 minutes, turn them over and grill for another 2 minutes; close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the asparagus from the EGG and put them aside. Remove the grid, place the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG. Heat to 200°C.
- Place the Green Dutch Oven on the grid and place the peppers next to it. Pour the remainder of the olive oil into the pan and add the shallots. Fry the shallots for about 5 minutes until they become translucent.
- Mix the risotto rice with the shallots and fry for approx. 5 minutes, stir every now and then. Remove the peppers from the EGG after about 10 minutes and put them aside.
- Pour enough of the poultry stock into the pan to immerse the rice. Let the rice simmer for about 45 minutes until done. Stir regularly and keep adding a splash of sake to the pan to ensure the rice remains immersed; close the lid of the EGG after each action. In the meantime, pick the leaves of the herbs and chop finely. Remove the peel from the pickled lemon and chop finely; you will not be using the rest of the wedges in this recipe. Remove the skins, stems, seeds and membranes of the roasted peppers and cut the flesh into strips. Place them and the green asparagus in the lid of the Green Dutch Oven.
- Remove the risotto from the EGG and place the lid with the vegetables on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG to quickly heat the vegetables. Successively, stir the Parmesan cheese, the butter and the finely chopped lemon peel into the risotto and ladle into a lovely bowl.
- Remove the vegetables from the Big Green Egg and garnish the risotto with the roasted peppers and grilled asparagus.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?