Quesadillas with pulled chicken
The quesadilla is a typical Mexican snack that is also found in Tex-Mex cuisine. The base consists of a folded tortilla filled with cheese, or queso. The remaining ingredients? You can choose them yourself according to your taste. That’s what we did, and the result was a delicious quesadilla with pulled chicken from the Big Green Egg.
- 200 g organic red kidney beans
- 2 red onions
- 4 spring onions
- 4 tortillas (Ø 25-30 cm)
- 4 tbsp organic ketchup
- 75 g bean sprouts
- 400 g grated cheddar
- Generous handful of rocket
Pulled chicken filling
- 1 shallot
- ½ red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 100 ml poultry stock
- Pulled chicken (meat of 1 chicken)
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat with the Stainless Steel Grid to a temperature of 200 °C. Meanwhile, rinse and drain the kidney beans in a colander. Peel the red onions and cut them into thin half rings. Finely chop the spring onions.
- For the pulled chicken filling, peel and chop the shallot. Remove the stem and seeds from the bell pepper half and chop it fine.
- Heat the Green Dutch Oven on the grill. For the pulled chicken filling, melt the butter in the pan and add the shallot and bell pepper. Stir in the flour and cook for 3-4 minutes; stir occasionally, making sure to close the lid of the EGG afterwards.
- Deglaze the bell pepper mixture with the poultry stock and heat for about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the EGG and add the pulled chicken. Taste the filling, add salt and pepper to taste if necessary, and leave to cool down slightly. Remove the grid, insert the convEGGtor and replace the grid. Place the Baking Stone on top of this, close the lid of the EGG and bring the temperature to 220 °C.
- Meanwhile, place the tortillas on your worktop. Brush half of each tortilla with the ketchup. Spread half of the pulled chicken filling over the other halves of the tortillas. You won’t need the rest of the pulled chicken filling for this recipe, unless you want to make more quesadillas, so store it in the freezer for next time. Distribute the kidney beans, red onion, spring onion, bean sprouts, cheddar and rocket over the filling. Fold the ketchup-covered half of each tortilla over the filling and place two quesadillas on the Baking Stone using the Stainless Steel Pizza Peel. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the quesadillas for about 5 minutes.
- Flip the quesadillas and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the quesadillas from the EGG, cut them into triangles and bake the rest of the quesadillas in the same way.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?