Chicken Pita Burger
In this Big Green Egg recipe, you get to work with homemade pita buns and season the chicken burgers yourself. If you like, you can add extra spices to the mince mixture to add a unique twist of flavour to your grilled chicken burger.
- 300 g flour, plus extra for dusting
- 3 g dry yeast
- 3 g sugar
- 25 g soft butter
- 120 g yoghurt
- 120 g milk
- 5 g salt
- 3 sundried tomatoes
- 4 green olives, pitted
- ½ egg
- 600 g minced chicken
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 beef tomato
- ½ cucumber
- 2 gherkins
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 12 green olives, pitted
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- For the pita buns, mix all the ingredients except the salt in a bowl. Add the salt last and knead into pliable and elastic dough. Cover the bowl with cling film and allow the dough to rise for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, finely chop the sundried tomatoes and olives for the chicken burger. Beat the egg and knead together all ingredients for the burger, adding salt and pepper to taste. Divide the mince into 4 equal portions and shape them into burgers. Cover with cling film and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- When the dough has risen, press out the air. Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and fold in the edges to create nice round balls of dough. Dust a board or platter with flour and place the dough balls on it. Cover with cling film and allow to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg about 20 minutes before the end of the rising time. Heat the EGG, with the convEGGtor, the Cast Iron Grid and on top of that the Baking Stone to a temperature of 275°C.
- Lightly dust your worktop with flour and roll out the dough balls. Place half of these (if it fits) on the Baking Stone and close the lid of the EGG. Bake the pita buns approx. 4 minutes until the bottom is nice and brown. Flip the buns and bake them for another 4 minutes. Remove the pita buns from the EGG, and bake the remaining buns in the same manner.
- Remove the Baking Stone, the grid and the convEGGtor and put back the Cast Iron Grid. Heat the EGG to 220°C. Meanwhile, cut 4 slices of the beef tomato as topping. Shave the cucumber into strips and slice the gherkins lengthwise.
- Place the chicken burgers on the grid and grill for approx. 3 minutes. Turn the burgers ninety degrees and grill for another 3 minutes to create a nice grill pattern. Flip the chicken burgers and grill the other side for 2 x 3 minutes as well. Use the Instant Read Digital Thermometer to check whether the burgers have a core temperature of at least 70°C. If the temperature is lower, grill the burgers for a bit longer.
- Cut 4 of the pita buns completely open. Place a chicken burger on the bottom half of the bun and top with a slice of tomato, the cucumber ribbons, slices of gherkin and a leaf of lettuce. Add some mayonnaise and cover with the top half of the bun. Take 4 skewers, spear 3 olives onto each skewer and stick them in the buns.
The dough recipe is enough for 12 buns. For this recipe, you’ll only need 4. Allow the remaining buns to cool and wrap them well in cling film. Save them for the next day or keep in the freezer. You can heat the buns on the EGG or in a toaster when you want to use them.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?