Pita bread pulled jackfruit
Nowadays, young, green canned jackfruit is often used as a meat substitute, for example, to make pulled jackfruit from it. But did you know that you can also use the fresh, yellow, ripe variant to make pulled jackfruit on your Big Green Egg? As far as we’re concerned, this sweet, fresh flesh is actually preferable. If you do use young jackfruit in your dish, make sure to properly rinse it before preparation. Bake it about 5 minutes longer on your kamado and use forks to pull the flesh of the jackfruit before you fill your pita bread with it.
- 3 kg fresh, ripe jackfruit
- 3 tbsp ginger syrup
- 8 pita buns (or make them yourself)
- 1 sprig of basil
- 5 g cloves
- 10 g black peppercorns
- 10 g coriander seeds
- 10 g mustard seeds
- 5 g cumin seeds
- 10 g ground ginger
- 10 g garlic granulate
- 10 g Hungarian paprika powder
- 5 g smoked paprika powder (hot)
- 5 g ground turmeric
- 5 g ground mixed spices, such as five-spice powder or speculoos spices
- 10 g fine sea salt
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 190°C.
- For the Shawarma spices, ground or rub finely, the cloves, the peppercorns, the coriander seeds, mustard seeds and cumin seeds in a spice mill, a coffee mill or use a mortar. Mix all ingredients for the Shawarma spices together and measure half a tablespoon. You can store the remainder in a sealed container for another time.
- Clean the jackfruit by picking the flesh out of the skin, while doing this, also remove the seeds and the fleeces.
- Heat the Green Dutch Oven on the grid. Pour the ginger syrup into the pan and add the jackfruit and the shawarma spices. Mix well and place the pita breads on the grid to warm them. Close the lid of the EGG and cook the jackfruit 4-5 minutes; stir every now and then and close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- In the meantime, pick the leaves of the sprig of basil.
- Remove the Dutch Oven and the pita breads from the EGG. Cut the pita breads open, fill them with jackfruit and garnish with the basil.
Instead of using fresh jackfruit, you can also use young jackfruit, available in the supermarket. Make sure to rinse this thoroughly before preparation, and cook about 5 minutes longer than the fresh jackfruit in this recipe.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?