Oysters au gratin with spinach and Pernod
Have you ever tasted oysters au gratin from the Big Green Egg? You really need to try it! In this recipe for your kamado, you top the oysters with a mixture of spinach and egg. A fantastic flavour combination.
- 12 oysters
- 500 g coarse sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice of casino white bread
- 3 sprigs of parsley
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g leaf spinach
- 1 shallot
- 50 g fennel
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp Pernod
- 100 ml whipping cream
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the grid, to 200°C. Meanwhile, boil the eggs until soft boiled. Drain the eggs, shock them in cold water and peel.
- Cut the crusts off the bread and cut the bread into small cubes. Remove the parsley leaves from the stalks and chop them finely. Push the eggs through a sieve and mix with the bread cubes, parsley and olive oil. Set the egg mixture aside for the time being.
- Wash the spinach, pat it somewhat dry and chop coarsely. Peel and chop the shallot. Cut the fennel into very small cubes.
- For the spinach topping, melt the butter in the round Green Dutch Oven in the EGG. Add the shallots and fennel and cook until the shallots are translucent. Deglaze with the Pernod and cream and, reduce to the thickness of yoghurt, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach to the cream mixture and cook until the spinach has shrunk. Add freshly ground pepper to taste, pour into a sieve and leave the spinach topping to cool.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the coarse sea salt in an even layer in the Cast Iron Skillet (Small). Open the oysters and discard the top shells. Cut the attachment between the oyster and the shell of each oyster. Flip the oysters in the shell and place the oyster shells on the salt in the skillet.
- First spoon some of the spinach topping onto each oyster and then some of the egg topping. Place the skillet in the Big Green Egg, close the lid and leave the oysters to cook au gratin for 8-10 minutes.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?