Oven dish with grilled asparagus, cauliflower, cheese and egg
When you add the convEGGtor, you can use the Big Green Egg as a regular oven. As a result, it’s a snap to prepare a delicious oven dish in your EGG. This recipe is for an oven dish with grilled white asparagus (white gold), cauliflower, cheese and egg. As white asparagus are seasonal, this would be the perfect dish for spring!
For the oven dish
- 6 large, white asparagus
- ¼ bunch of chives
- 100 g cauliflower
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 50 g young matured Gouda, grated
- 1 egg
- toast, for serving
For the béchamel sauce
- 25 g butter
- 30 g flour
- 300 ml milk
- ½ tbsp. minced tarragon
- Heat the Big Green Egg with the Stainless Steel Grid to 250°C. In the meantime, peel the asparagus and cut off the tough lower part. Cut the chives with scissors and chop the cauliflower into florets.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir the flour in with a wooden spatula and allow the roux to cook for 2-3 minutes. Whilst stirring, add the milk, little by little until a smooth sauce develops. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the tarragon. Pour the sauce into an oven dish and spread out the cauliflower florets on top.
- Brush the asparagus with olive oil and grill them until al dente in approx. 8 minutes. Turn them over halfway through. Put the asparagus in the oven dish and sprinkle on half the chives. Lift the grid, place the convEGGtor and replace the grid. Raise the EGG’s temperature to 220°C.
- Put the oven dish on the grid, sprinkle grated cheese on the asparagus and close the lid. Wait until the cheese starts melting then crack the egg onto the asparagus and close the lid.
- When the egg has set, you should remove the dish from the Big Green Egg. Season with pepper and salt, then sprinkle on the remaining chives. Serve immediately with toast
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!