Ricotta blinis with grilled green asparagus and anchovy vinaigrette
Blinis are from Eastern Europe and can best be described as a cross between a tiny pancake and sponge cake. You can fill them with anything you like and ‘top them off’, if you like, eating them either as a snack or as a starter as part of a menu. This recipe is for ricotta blinis with grilled green asparagus and an anchovy vinaigrette.
For the asparagus
- 1 bundle green asparagus of 350g
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the blinis
- 2 eggs
- 50 g flour
- 50 g ricotta
- 100 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
For the vinaigrette
- ½ red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 5 anchovy fillets (tin)
- 50 g black (Taggiasca) olives
- 25 g capers, drained
- 5 sprigs of parsley
- 100 ml olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- Place the Cast Iron Grid in the Big Green Egg, ignite the charcoal and heat to 180 °C. In the meantime, remove the hard parts of the asparagus and, if necessary, halve any thick ones lengthwise. Drizzle olive oil onto the asparagus and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- For the blinis: beat the eggs and mix with flour in a bowl. Fold in the ricotta and Parmesan cheese and season with salt & pepper. To make the dressing, peel and chop the red onion and the garlic. Finely chop the anchovy fillets, olives and capers. Remove the parsley from the stalks and finely chop.
- With the lid closed, warm the Half Moon Cast Iron Plancha Griddle (or two small cast iron frying pans) with the smooth side uppermost on the Cast Iron Grid.
- Grease the Half Moon Cast Iron Plancha Griddle (or the pans) with sunflower oil and ladle generous tablespoons of the blini batter onto the plate. Fry the blinis on both sides until golden brown. In the meantime, grill the asparagus on the grid until nearly done, 5 to 8 minutes. Regularly turn the asparagus and close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Take the blinis from the Half Moon Cast Iron Plancha Griddle and keep them warm under aluminium foil. Use EGGmitt to remove the Half Moon Cast Iron Plancha Griddle from the grid or to remove one of the cast iron pans from the grid. To make the vinaigrette, heat a third of the olive oil in a small cast iron pan on the grid of the Big Green Egg and sauté the onion and garlic in this. Mix in the finely chopped anchovy fillets, olives, capers, remaining olive oil and lemon juice.
- Remove the asparagus and the pan from the grid and add the parsley to the vinaigrette and stir. Divide the blinis and asparagus between the plates and drizzle the vinaigrette over them.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!