Oosterschelde Lobster Thermidor
Real classics like this Lobster Thermidor can of course also be cooked in your Big Green Egg! The basic ingredient in this recipe is the Oosterschelde Lobster, a unique variety that is renowned worldwide for its delicious flavour. Preparing the lobster in your kamado makes this French classic even tastier.
- 200 g winter carrots
- 200 g fennel
- 2 onions
- 200 g leek
- 200 g celeriac
- 20 white peppercorns
- 20 green cardamom pods
- 1 shallot
- 10 tarragon leaves
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp cognac
- 200 ml cold fish stock
- 1 tbsp coarse mustard
- 2 Oosterschelde Lobsters of approx. 500 g
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g marsh samphire
- 40 g grated Parmesan cheese
- For the court bouillon, coarsely chop the vegetables. Crush the peppercorns and cardamom pods. Put all the ingredients in a large pan, add 4½ litres of water and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 230°C. For the sauce, peel and finely chop the shallots and finely chop the tarragon leaves. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the shallots and fry until translucent. Mix in the flour and leave this roux to cook on a low heat for around 5 minutes. Deglaze with the cognac and the fish stock, and reduce gently until the desired thickness is reached. Mix the mustard and tarragon into the sauce, and add salt and pepper to taste. Set the sauce aside.
- Pour the court bouillon through a sieve.
- Bring the court bouillon to the boil in a large pan. The bouillon should be boiling as you add the lobster, therefore only cook one lobster at a time. Add the lobster and boil for 3 minutes. Scoop it out of the pan, then boil the next lobster. Boil the lobsters for less than the recommended time of 1 minute per 100 grams, because you will also be cooking them in the Big Green Egg.
- Halve the lobsters lengthwise and remove the intestines. Remove all the lobster meat from the shell halves and set them aside. Clean the shells under running water.
- Peel the tomatoes. Halve them, scoop out the seeds and dice the flesh. Fry the tomato in the olive oil and add pepper to taste. Divide the marsh samphire and the tomato between the shells. Place the lobster meat from the left halves of the shells back in the right halves with the red side facing upwards, and vice versa. Divide the sauce between the lobster halves and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place each lobster half on the shell on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the lobster halves from the EGG and serve immediately.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?