Mini sausage rolls with minced chicken thigh
Are you organising a luxury breakfast, a brunch or a party? Then, these mini sausage rolls from the Big Green Egg are the bomb! Both lukewarm and at room temperature, the sausage rolls taste delicious, so serve them immediately after baking them in the kamado or bake them in advance. Don’t have a meat grinder at home? Then, instead of chicken thighs, simply buy minced chicken. Or if you prefer minced beef or a mix of pork and beef mince, you could also opt for them as the basis for your filling. Enjoy!
- 2 270 g rolls of fresh puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ cm fresh ginger
- 2 spring onions
- 30 g pistachios
- 600 g chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Panko breadcrumbs
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 180°C.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, peel and finely chop the shallot. Peel the garlic and chop the clove finely. Peel and finely chop the ginger and the spring onions. Roughly chop the pistachios.
- In a meat grinder with a coarse plate (8 mm), grind the chicken thighs into minced meat. Store in the fridge until use.
- Heat the olive oil in the Green Dutch Oven on the grid of the EGG. Add the shallot, garlic and curry powder and fry until the shallot is translucent. Stir every now and then, closing the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the EGG and spoon the shallot mixture onto a plate. Leave to cool completely. Bring the EGG to a temperature of 220°C.
- Knead the cooled shallot mixture, ginger, spring onion, pistachios, egg, Dijon mustard and panko into the minced meat and season the filling with salt and pepper. Pour the filling into a piping bag.
- Roll out both rolls of puff pastry. With a rolling pin, roll them slightly flatter to about 3 millimetres thick. Beat the egg yolk and brush both pieces of dough with it. Pipe a neat stripe (Ø 3-4 cm) of the filling along one of the long sides of both pieces of dough. Roll up the dough and cut each roll into 10 equal pieces. Brush with the rest of the egg yolk and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Cut a circle of baking paper that is slightly smaller than the Baking Stone. Place the sausage rolls on the baking paper on the cold Baking Stone and place on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the sausage rolls for around 25 minutes until golden brown and cooked. Use the Instant Read Digital Thermometer to check whether the chicken mince has reached a core temperature of 70°C.
- Remove the sausage rolls from the EGG and eat them lukewarm or at room temperature.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?