Cone of smoked eggnog and blood orange ice cream
We are all familiar with the traditional Cornetto ice creams with vanilla ice cream and chocolate. There is, however, an alternative and we will show you what it is in this recipe for Cornettos with smoked ‘advocaat’ (a type of eggnog) and blood orange ice cream. We will smoke the advocaat on the Big Green Egg to add an extra bite to this refreshing dessert. Please note that this recipe is not suitable for children as it contains alcohol.
For the ice cream
- 2 sheets of gelatine
- 25 ml Mandarine Napoléon
- 100 ml sugar water
- 150 g blood orange flesh
- (cut segments)
For the eggnog
- 3 dl lemon brandy
- 2 dl water
- 3 sheets of gelatine
- 1 vanilla pod
- 200 g sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 dl cream
- 1 dessert spoon of lemon juice
- 10 mini ice cream cones
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- For the ice cream, soak the gelatine in water. Slightly heat the Mandarine Napoléon and the sugar water, squeeze the gelatine out and dissolve in the mixture. Mix the flesh of the oranges through this using a stick blender. Pour the mixture into a container and freeze. Stir from time to time to prevent the ice cream from crystallising. Soak the Wood Chips in water.
- Heat the Big Green Egg to a temperature of 200°C. Sprinkle the glowing coals with Wood Chips and put the Stainless Steel Grid in place. Pour the water and lemon brandy into the Round Drip Pan, place it on the grid and close the dome of the EGG. Smoke the liquid for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the gelatine for the eggnog in cold water. Slit the vanilla pod open lengthways, scrape out the seeds and mix them with the sugar and eggs in a stainless-steel bowl. Heat this in a bain-marie and beat it, using a guard, until the mixture has the desired thickness. Beat the smoked liquid into this little by little. Cut the gelatine into pieces and stir into the mixture. Place the bowl in a container of cold water and allow it to cool while stirring. Beat the eggnog smooth in a blender, beat the cream until it thickens and stir this into the eggnog with the lemon juice. Store in a sterilised, sealable pot until used.
- Fill the mini ice cream cones with the eggnog. Spoon a small ball of blood orange ice cream over this and garnish with mint.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!