Which meat do you use for Beef Wellington and at how many degrees do you cook this true classic? In this recipe for Beef Wellington from the Big Green Egg, we will explain it to you step by step. The side dishes, such as roasted potatoes and grilled green asparagus, can, of course, also be prepared on your kamado.
- 1 tenderloin of approx. 3 kg
- 1 kg of chestnut mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g Parma ham (slices)
- 150 g fine Dijon mustard
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 rolls of 270 g puff pastry (40 x 24 cm)
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat with the Cast Iron Grid to 250 ° C. Remove the tenderloin from the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, clean the chestnut mushrooms and grind them completely in the food processor so that you get a mushroom puree. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the puree. Bake this for approx. 25 minutes on low heat until the moisture has evaporated from the mushrooms. Season the puree with salt and pepper, mix with a fork and allow to cool in the refrigerator.
- Place the tenderloin on the grid and grill it for approx. 1 minute per side. Remove the meat from the EGG and put it in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the grid with the Cast Iron Grid Lifter from the EGG. Place the convEGGtor and the stainless steel grid with the Baking Stone on top and bring the temperature of the EGG to 220 ° C.
- Place a number of sheets of plastic film overlapping on your work surface; the total size must be longer than the tenderloin and wider than the circumference of the tenderloin. Place the slices of Parma ham on the foil like a rectangle, overlapping slightly. Here too, it is important that you can roll the whole tenderloin in it later.
- Spread the mushroom puree with a spoon in an even layer over the Parma ham and press it with the convex side of the spoon. Lay the tenderloin lengthwise on the puree and brush the meat all around with the mustard. Roll the tenderloin with the help of the foil into the slice of puree and Parma ham.
- Place a sheet of baking paper of at least 50 x 60 cm on your work surface. Beat the egg yolks. Roll out the puff pastry slices on the baking paper. Make sure that the long sides of the dough overlap slightly and brush in between with beaten egg yolk. Press gently so that the dough sticks together.
- Carefully remove the plastic foil from the tenderloin and place it next to the seam on the upper part of the puff pastry. Fold the top of the dough over the tenderloin towards you and fold the sides over the meat. Brush the edges of the dough with beaten egg yolk. Spread the bottom of the dough over the tenderloin so that it is rolled in nicely. Fold up the sides of the dough and stick them closed. Brush these sides with beaten egg yolk and stick them together. Roll the tenderloin in the dough so that the folds are at the bottom.
- Brush the dough completely with the beaten egg yolk. Cut a plaid pattern into the dough with a sharp knife; be careful not to cut through the dough. Prick around 6 small holes in the dough with the tip of the knife in less visible places.
- Cut or tear off most of the baking paper. Place the Beef Wellington on the pizza stone using the pizza scoop. Insert the pin of a core thermometer into the meat core and close the EGG lid. Set the core temperature to 50-52 ° C.
- Remove the Beef Wellington with the pizza scoop from the Big Green Egg when the set core temperature is reached; this takes around 60 minutes. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before you cut it.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?