Tarta de Santiago
Do you want to bake a nice, easy cake on the Big Green Egg? How does delicious almond cake sound? By smoking the almonds on the Big Green Egg before adding them to the filling, your cake will be even tastier. A delicious and traditional Spanish dessert to finish a dinner in style!
For the base
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g sugar
- 200g flour
- 50 g soft butter
For the filling
- 250g almonds
- 4 eggs
- 250g sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- finely grated zest of 1 unsprayed lemon
- icing sugar
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the Premium Organic Lump Charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to 150°C. In the meantime, spread the almonds for the stuffing over the Perforated Cooking Grid.
- Lay a Mesquite Wood Chunk on the smouldering charcoal. Place the convEGGtor and the grid in the EGG, and put the Perforated Cooking Grid with the almonds on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and smoke the almonds for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, put all the ingredients for the base in the bowl of a food processor, add a pinch of salt, and knead to form a smooth dough using the flat beater. Line the bottom of a springform tin (Ø 26cm) with parchment paper. Roll or press the dough into a circle big enough to cover the base of the tin and line the tin with it.
- Remove the Perforated Cooking Grid with the almonds from the EGG. Let them cool down and grind them in a food processor with chopping blades. Place the Baking Stone on the grid and bring the EGG to 180°C.
- For the filling, separate the eggs, and beat the egg whites with half of the sugar in a food processor with whisk until frothy. Spoon the egg whites out of the food processor into another bowl and keep separately for the time being.
- Put the egg yolks, the remaining sugar, the ground cinnamon, the lemon zest and a pinch of salt in the food processor bowl and whisk until airy. Using a spatula, fold the smoked almond powder and half of the whisked egg whites through the egg yolk mix. When this mix is consistent, fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Divide the filling over the springform tin base. Place the springform tin on the Baking Stone and close the lid of the EGG. Bake the cake for about 30 minutes.
- Cover the springform tin with tinfoil and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the Tarta de Santiago from the EGG and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle the Tarta de Santiago with icing sugar and cut into nice wedges.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!matisch de lekkerste recepten, inspirerende seizoensmenu’s, praktische tips en veel, veel meer!