Stewed pears are a classic dish for during the holidays. Who hasn’t served these during a Christmas meal? They are great as a side dish or dessert. Using the Cast Iron Dutch Oven on the Big Green Egg will help you prepare these stewed pears in no time at all. Be sure to start in good time though. By allowing the pears to rest for 24 hours, their colour will become even more intense!
For the stewed pears
- 8 Gieser Wildeman pears
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 200 g sugar
- 10 allspice berries
- 20 black pepper peppercorns
- 1 orange
- Heat the Big Green Egg with the Stainless Steel Grid in place to 200 °C. In the meantime, peel the pears.
- Pour the wine into the Cast Iron Dutch Oven, add the sugar and the spices then close the lid and allow to come to the boil on the EGG. Whilst this happens, wash the orange, then remove the orange layer of peel with a peeler. Then completely peel the orange and separate the segments.
- Once the wine mixture is boiling add the orange segments and the pears. Reduce the temperature to 130 °C, close the EGG’s lid and allow to simmer gently for approximately 90 minutes.
- Remove the Cast Iron Dutch Oven from the EGG and allow to stand for 24 hours with the lid on to intensify the pears’ colour.
- Remove the pears from the liquid. Pour the latter through a sieve into a pan then reduce somewhat on the EGG or on the stove until it becomes slightly more syrupy. Finally warm up the pears in this liquid.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!