Sea bream cooked on chinese cabbage with basmati rice and grilled broccoli
The sea bream is a flavourful, low-fat type of fish that is quite popular in Southern European countries. It is easy to prepare sea bream, also when using the Big Green Egg. In this recipe, we prepare the sea bream on a bed of Chinese cabbage, and serve the fish with basmati rice and grilled broccoli. How’s that for a touch of the Orient!
For the sea breams
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 sea breams, cleaned and scaled
- 6 sprigs of (Thai) basil
- 12 sprigs of coriander
- 1 head of broccoli
- 10-12 Chinese cabbage leaves
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 300 g basmati rice
- 1 sprig of mint
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to 180°C. Meanwhile, cut the lemon into five slices. Peel the onion and the garlic. Slice the onion into rings and chop the garlic into slices. Season the insides of the sea breams with salt and pepper and stuff each sea bream with 2 slices of lemon and half the onion rings, garlic, sprigs of basil and coriander.
- Cut off the bottom part the broccoli’s stem and slice the head into portions without removing the remainder of the stem.
- Cover half the grid with the Chinese cabbage leaves. Place the sea breams on the cabbage leaves, close the lid of the EGG and allow to cook for approx. 20 minutes. The fish does not need to be turned while cooking. Sprinkle the broccoli with the sunflower oil and season with salt to taste. 10 minutes before the sea breams are ready, place the broccoli on the grid of the EGG. Turn the broccoli after 5 minutes.
- Add 300 ml water to the coconut cream and bring to a boil in a pan on the stove. Mix in the basmati rice and add the remaining slice of lemon. Place the lid on the pan, turn to the heat down to low and allow to softly simmer for 10 minutes.
- After the pan with basmati rice has finished simmering, remove it from the heat and add a sprig of mint to the pan. Leave the rice to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the sea bream and the broccoli from the EGG. Remove the skin from the fish, ‘spoon’ the fillets from the bone and place a fillet on each plate. Serve with the rice, the grilled broccoli and, if desired, a slice of lemon from inside the fish.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!