Pulled pork sandwich
Always wanted to prepare pulled pork, but never done it? Then it’s high time to buy a good piece of meat in order to prepare your own delicious pulled pork sandwich. Success is guaranteed with a Big Green Egg and this recipe for pulled pork, and if you smoke the meat while cooking, you’ll get an even more intense flavour.
For the pulled pork
- One 2 to 2.25 kg piece of meat
For the rub
- 10 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground turmeric
- 3 tbsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 7 tbsp paprika powder
- 7 tbsp salt
For the dough
- cherry tomatoes
- yellow peppers
- Italian rolls or kaiser rolls
- cabbage salad (coleslaw)
- mixed salad
- barbecue sauce of choice
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Take the meat from the fridge, mix all the ingredients for the rub together and rub the meat generously with the rub. Massage the rub into the meat. The remaining rub can be stored in a sealed container for the next time.
- Soak a handful of Cherry Wood Chips in water. Mix a few handfuls of (non-soaked) Cherry Wood Chips through the still unlit charcoal. Slide the air regulator underneath the ceramic base fully open, distribute three fire starters over the charcoal and light them. Leave the lid of the Big Green Egg open for 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the soaked Wood Chips onto the hot charcoal. Position the convEGGtor and lay the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG. Place the meat on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Bring it to a temperature between 95 and 110 ° C. The pulled pork will become nice and juicy at these temperatures. Leave the meat to cook for about 8 hours until the meat reaches a core temperature of at least 71 ° C. This can be measured with the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer and Instant Read Digital Thermometer. At this point you will have reached the plateau, which means that the core temperature will slowly rise to about 77 ° C. This will be maintained for some time because the collagen contained by the meat will be converted into jelly. This process releases a considerable amount of moisture, which slows the cooking process.
- Remove the meat once the plateau has been reached by the EGG, wrap it in aluminium foil and put the meat back on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and let the meat cook slowly for about 6-8 hours in the foil until a core temperature of 86 to 96 ° C is reached. The exact temperature is not that important, as long as it is above 86 ° C.
- Remove the meat from the EGG with the EGGmitt and leave it to rest for a few hours in a cooler. The foil and the cooler have an insulating effect and the meat will maintain the correct temperature; cooling elements are therefore unnecessary. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining fillings for the sandwiches. To this end, heat one part water with one part vinegar and one part sugar, until the sugar is dissolved, and leave the sweet and sour mix to cool. Cut the cherry tomatoes into wedges. Halve the yellow pepper, remove the stem and seeds and cut the flesh into thin wedges. Peel the carrot and grate thin ribbons from the carrot and cucumber lengthwise with a peeler. Place the vegetables in the sweet and sour mix.
- Prior to serving allow the sweet and sour vegetables to drain and pull the meat apart with the Meat Claws. Cut the rolls open and top with the coleslaw, the mixed lettuce and the sweet and sour vegetables. Top with a generous amount of pulled pork and spoon or syringe barbecue sauce on top to taste. Cover with the top of the roll and enjoy!
Visit our Fan Shop!
The real EGG fan will always stand out due to his passion for food and because he prefers to spend his time in front of his Big Green Egg. Then again, his hoodie and socks may be a dead giveaway. You can find these and other original gift tips in our Fan Shop.