Calzone pizza with tomato, salami, mushrooms and mozzarella
A calzone is one big surprise! In this recipe, we will prepare a delicious ‘traditional’ calzone pizza using tomato, salami, mushrooms, mozzarella and more. Have you ever prepared a calzone yourself? It’s easy as pie if you use the clever Big Green Egg Calzone Press.
For the dough
- 625 g flower (type 00)
- 1 g yeast
- 16 g salt
- 325 ml water
For the filling
- 1 x 400 g tin of tomato blocks
- 200 g salami
- 250 g mushrooms
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 x 125 g balls of mozzarella
- oregano leaves
- basil leaves
- 100 g Parmesan cheese, grated
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- For the dough, put 10% of the flour, the yeast, salt and water into a large mixing bowl and mix well. After 10 minutes, add the rest of the flour and knead the dough until it has a soft and elastic consistency. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and set aside to rise for two hours at a temperature of around 25°C.
- Heat the Big Green Egg with the convEGGtor, Cast Iron Grid and Baking Stone to a temperature of 280°C. For the filling, drain the tomato blocks, cut the salami into blocks, the mushrooms and tomatoes into slices and tear the mozzarella into pieces.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls of around 80 grams and roll them out on a board sprinkled with flour using a rolling pin. Place the flattened dough in the Calzone Press and fill with the ingredients for the filling. Start with a tomato blocks and end with the Parmesan cheese and basil. Close the form and press tightly. Take the calzone out of the press and make the remaining calzones in the same way. Possibly garnish with a basil leaf.
- Using the Pizza Peel, place the calzones on the Flat Baking Stone and bake them until done and golden brown in around 6 minutes.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!