Asparagus with vanilla infused oil
Did you know that you can also make delicious desserts with asparagus? When you grill white asparagus, they develop a deliciously sweet taste. In this recipe, however, we opt for another type of preparation: we preserve the ‘white gold’ in vanilla-infused oil and then sprinkle a marinade of lime juice, honey and vinegar over it. We serve the results with strawberries. Tuck in and enjoy!
For the asparagus
- 1 L sunflower oil
- 3 vanilla pods
- 12 white asparagus
- 250 g strawberries
- vanilla ice cream
- Basil Cress or small-leafed basil
For the marinade
- 1 lime
- 5 tbsp herb-infused honey
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- Heat the Big Green Egg, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel grid, to approximately 150°C. Pour the sunflower oil into the Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Cut the vanilla pods lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add the empty pods and the seeds to the oil.
- Place the Cast Iron Dutch Oven, without lid, on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and heat the oil to 90°C. Allow to draw for at least 20 minutes so that the vanilla flavour is well absorbed by the oil. Play with the temperature of the EGG so that the oil does not become too hot. Meanwhile, peel the asparagus, trim the bases of the spears and pat dry with a clean tea towel.
- Carefully place the asparagus in the hot vanilla oil. The temperature of the EGG may be increased again because by adding the asparagus, the oil will cool somewhat. Allow to infuse for 16 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, wash the strawberries and remove the stalks. Cut into quarters. For the marinade, halve the lime and squeeze out the juice. Mix in the honey and vinegar and mix with the strawberries.
- Carefully remove the asparagus from the oil with a pair of tongs and drain on kitchen paper. Cut off the tips of the asparagus and slice the remaining sections into diagonal pieces. Divide between the plates along with the strawberries and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Spoon over the marinade and garnish with the Basil Cress or small-leafed basil. Enjoy!
Do not dispose of the vanilla oil; its flavour only improves. Pour into a clean bottle for future use in infusions, or to prepare scallops in.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!