The classic Neapolitan Pizza Margherita is one of the basics that everyone loves. This vegetarian pizza with tomato sauce, mozzarella and basil is very easy to make. You could also experiment with this basic pizza recipe by placing extra toppings on the base.
- 250 g flour (preferably type ‘00’) + extra for sprinkling
- 25 g fresh yeast, or 8 g dry yeast
- 150 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil + extra for greasing
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 5 basil leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tin of tomato cubes (400 g)
- 2 balls of mozzarella of 125 g each
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- For the bases, mix the flour with a pinch of salt in a bowl. Dissolve the yeast in one third of the lukewarm water and add this to the flour. Add the rest of the water and mix in the olive oil and the sugar. Knead the dough thoroughly for at least 5 minutes. This is easier with a mixer or in a food processor.
- Tip the dough onto your worktop and knead it by hand for another minute. Grease a bowl, shape the dough into a nice ball and put it in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean, damp tea towel and leave the dough to rise for 2 hours.
- In the meantime, peel the garlic for the tomato sauce and chop it finely. Chop the basil leaves finely. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce to a low heat and leave to simmer gently for 5 minutes. Purée the sauce with a hand blender and spoon it into a bowl.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat with the convEGGtor, the grid and the Baking Stone to 275-300°C. In the meantime, divide the dough into 2 equal portions and roll them into 2 balls. Dust the Pizza Dough Rolling Mat with flour and thinly roll out the first ball of dough on the mat with a rolling pin.
- Dust the Aluminium Pizza Peel with flour and place the pizza base on it. Using a ladle, spoon half of the tomato sauce in the middle of the base and spread it towards the edge using the round underside of the ladle. Leave a small space between the sauce and the outer edge. Tear 1 mozzarella ball into pieces and divide over the pizza.
- Dust the Baking Stone with flour. Use the Pizza Peel to slide the pizza onto the Baking Stone, close the lid of the EGG and bake the pizza for about 5 minutes until done. In the meantime, roll out the second ball of dough and add the ingredients in the same manner.
- Remove the pizza from the EGG. Distribute half of the basil over the pizza and sprinkle with half of the olive oil. Cut the pizza into slices using the Compact Pizza Cutter. Bake the second pizza in the same way.
Visit our Fan Shop!
The real EGG fan will always stand out due to his passion for food and because he prefers to spend his time in front of his Big Green Egg. Then again, his hoodie and socks may be a dead giveaway. You can find these and other original gift tips in our Fan Shop.