Chard rolls with a roast beetroot salsa
You can prepare the tastiest dishes on the Big Green Egg all year round by using seasonal vegetables, such as Swiss chard in autumn. In this easy vegetarian recipe, we will prepare rolls of coloured Swiss chard accompanied by a roasted beetroot salsa. Imagine how cheerful all those colours will look on the table!
For the chard rolls
- 500 g unpeeled beetroot (not too big)
- 25 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 dl olive oil
- 500 g coloured chard
- Heat the Big Green Egg without a grid to 150 °C. In the meantime, wash the beetroots in cold water, dab dry and wrap in aluminium foil. Nestle the beetroots among the glowing coals using the Grill Tong, close the EGG’s lid and allow to roast for approximately 60 minutes.
- Check whether the beetroots have softened by pricking them with a meat fork and remove them from the EGG (or leave them in there if they need longer). Carefully remove the foil and allow the beetroots to cool. Peel the beetroots and cut them into chunks.
- Put the beetroot chunks and the balsamic vinegar in a blender, add a dash of water and blend till smooth. Pour the mixture into a bowl, then stir in olive oil pepper and salt to taste. If need be, the salsa can be prepared in advance then stored in the fridge, removed and allowed to come up to room temperature before use.
- Place the Stainless Steel Grid in the Big Green Egg, put the Grill Wok on top and heat the EGG to 200 °C. In the meantime wash the chard, cutting off the leaves. Cut the stems into thin strips and set aside 10-12 leaves. Put the strips and any washing water clinging to them in the wok which you then continue to agitate with the lid closed to limit flaming. Steam for 5-10 minutes, then remove the wok from the EGG.
- Put the chard leaves you set aside earlier on a work surface and spoon some chard strips onto each one. Tightly roll the leaves up and, if so desired, heat briefly on the EGG’s grid. Serve the rolls with the beetroot salsa.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!